- Section A
- Section B
- Section C
- Section D
- Draft Programme
- Get Involved
- Reports & Research
Section C7Knock Road to Knock River
C7/ Knock Road to Knock River
This section will provide links to the Greenway for the residents of Clarawood and Braniel by providing new and improved paths connecting these neighbourhoods directly Orangefield Park and to the Greenway.
Landscaping and native planting will be carried out. Lighting will be installed throughout. This section will provide a safe route to the schools in the area.
Heritage / Other Interesting Information
Knock Burial Ground - Knock Burial Ground is one of the most ancient sites in Belfast. This land has been associated with religious use for over 700 years - its name derives from the Gaelic work ‘cnoc’ meaning ‘hill’. The taxation of 1306 shows that the church at Knock was valued at 40 shillings.
The oldest gravestone dates from 1644. There are numerous 18th century gravestones, many of which are inscribed with the names of local townlands, such as Ballyhackamore, Ballymacarrett, Bloomfield, Castlereagh, Dunover, Gilnahirk, Knock, Mountpottinger and Tullycarnet. More recent headstones mark the last resting places of Privates J Corbett and Henry Best, killed in action at Dunkirk on 28 May 1940. Other noteworthy graves include that of William Nichol (1794-1840), a Belfast- born painter whose works were exhibited in the Ulster Museum.
In 1896 Knock Burial Ground became public property when the extension of Belfast’s boundary brought it under the control of Belfast Corporation (now Belfast City Council).