- Section A
- Section B
- Section C
- Section D
- Draft Programme
- Get Involved
- Reports & Research
Section D6Victoria Park
D6/ Victoria Park
This section is now completed and has linked Victoria Park to Airport Road, providing linkage to Titanic Quarter, Belfast City Centre and the National Cycle Network.
The Victoria Park section of the Connswater Community Greenway has been completed as part of Phase 1 constructiopn works. Work included installation of the Sam Thompson Bridge linking Airport Road/Titanic Quarter to the Park, lighting, improved and new paths, an new observation point, new toilet block, interpretative signage and a trim trail.
Heritage / Other Interesting Information
On 15 September 1906 Victoria Park opened to the public. It replaced an earlier pleasure park on Dargan Island, now Queen’s Island. Victoria Park features a lake, originally used for boating, with two small wooded islands which offer sanctuary for nesting swans and ducks. The park once had an Edwardian swimming pool which was in use until the 1970s.
Today Victoria Park is designated as an Area of Special Scientific Interest (ASSI) and is part of the Special Protection Area (SPA). Birdlife is abundant in the park, particularly in the winter months. Species found in the park include greylag geese, blackheaded and herring gull, heron, mute swan, mallard, tufted duck, and pied and grey wagtail. The mudflats surrounding the park are rich in oysters, cockles, snails and worms, such as lugworms and ragworms. These provide a vital source for populations of wintering waders and wildfowl, including oyster catchers, terns and redshank.